top of page

How do I find a trademark agent in Canada?

To find a registered trademark agent in Canada, you can follow these steps:

1. Visit the College of Patent Agents and Trademark Agents in Canada (CPATA)’s website: CPATA is the public interest regulator of Patent Agents and Trademark Agents in Canada.

2. Select the Find an Agent button at the top right of the page.

3. You will see the following drop down menu half way down the page:

4. Select: Trademark Agent

5. You can then search or browse the list of trademark agents.

6. Research potential agents: Once you have a list of potential trademark agents, you can visit their websites or contact them directly to learn more about their services, experience, and fees. It's a good idea to compare multiple agents to find the best fit for your needs and budget.

7. Schedule a consultation: Many trademark agents offer a free initial consultation to discuss your needs and help you understand the trademark registration process. Take advantage of this opportunity to ask questions and ensure that the agent is a good fit for your needs.

Remember that hiring a trademark agent is not mandatory for registering a trademark in Canada. However, an experienced agent can help you navigate the process more efficiently and avoid potential pitfalls.

A registered trademark agent’s services are limited to representing a client before the Canadian Intellectual Property Office. In Canada, only registered trademark agents can represent a client before the Canadian Intellectual Property Office.

For the differences between a trademark agent and trademark lawyer please see our post on our website.

At Lomic Law all of our lawyers are both registered trademark agents and trademark lawyers. In addition, Paul Lomic is a Certified Specialist in Intellectual Property Law (Trademarks) by the Law Society of Ontario.

Curated by Lomic Law and written by ChatGPT powered by OpenAI as part of Lomic Law's strategic use of technology to assist its clients.


Recent Posts
bottom of page