Paul has a strong record of success advocating for his clients before the courts and administrative tribunals. Paul has handled both preliminary and final hearings as lead counsel for a broad range of matters. Paul has appeared before the Ontario Court of Justice, Ontario Superior Court of Justice, Federal Court, Federal Court of Appeal and various tribunals including the Trademarks Opposition Board.
Selected litigation experience
- Teti et al. v. Mueller et al., 2015 ONSC 4434: Successfully defended a motion for partial summary judgment which was dismissed in its entirety (co-counsel).
- Lefebvre v. Pow,  F.C.J. No. 613: Successfully defended an appeal in the Federal Court.
- 1734983 Ontario Inc. et al. v. Tortoise Restaurant Group Inc.,  O.J. No. 2692: Franchising law – successfully opposed a motion to separate a counterclaim.
- Plant Products v. Greenstar Plant Products, 2011 TMOB 220: Opposed a trade-mark application that resulted in protecting the wares covered by the client’s products.
- Destiny Software Productions, Inc. v. Musicrypt Inc., 2011 ONSC 470: Opposed a summary judgment motion to dismiss a counterclaim in its entirety preserving the client’s key causes of action.
- Kiss My Face Corporation v. LaPointe Rosenstein LLP, 2011 FC 150 (T-478-10): Represented a client in a section 45 appeal that reinstated the client’s trade-mark.
- J2 Global Communications and Catch Curve v. Protus, 2010 FC 572: Successfully defended against an appeal with costs awarded to the client.
- Belzberg v. Commissioner of Patents, 2009 FC 657 (T-248-08): Represented a client in a judicial review that forced the Commissioner of Patents to award a patent to the client. The client was awarded costs (co-counsel).